Community

Named for her grandmother, she never forgets

Named for her grandmother, she never forgets

Posted on: November 22, 2016 | 21 Heshvan 5777 by Rob Golub

WHITEFISH BAY – Everyone has family stories. Bella Chernyavskya-Blank has a story that she keeps alive in her heart, a story that never takes a backseat. The Whitefish Bay resident, an immigrant from Ukraine, is named for her grandmother, Bella Chernyavskya. That grandmother, and grandfather Moshko-Mordkovich Chernyavsky, were lost to the horrors of World War […]

Our bloodlines in Romania, Romania! … and Serbia

Our bloodlines in Romania, Romania! … and Serbia

Posted on: November 15, 2016 | 14 Heshvan 5777 by Special to the Chronicle

Dedicated to my grandparents. If you are of a certain age, you likely know some of the words, here in English translation, to one of the most famous Yiddish songs, written in New York in 1925: Oh Romania, Romania, Romania . . . Once there was a kind, sweet and lovely . . . […]

Wedding tips from the top experts: local brides

Wedding tips from the top experts: local brides

Posted on: November 15, 2016 | 14 Heshvan 5777 by Rob Golub

The decision to get married is a life-changing one. It is followed by hundreds of less significant decisions, all part of the wedding-planning process. While these decisions may be less significant, they are not unimportant, and they can lead to a lot of stress. The Wisconsin Jewish Chronicle interviewed four brides married in southeastern […]

Basting wins ‘Genius Grant’

Posted on: November 2, 2016 | 1 Heshvan 5777 by Rob Golub

University of Wisconsin –Milwaukee Theater Professor Anne Basting, a member of Congregation Shir Hadash, has won a “Genius Grant” from the MacArthur Foundation. Her breakthrough project, TimeSlips, is an improvisational storytelling method in which older adults with cognitive impairment imagine stories and poems in response to inspiring cues, according to the Foundation. Basting has created several […]

Shir Hadash rabbi to leave

Shir Hadash rabbi to leave

Posted on: October 31, 2016 | 29 Tishri 5777 by Rob Golub

MILWAUKEE – Reconstructionist Congregation Shir Hadash, 2717 E. Hampshire St., Milwaukee, is losing its rabbi, Tiferet Berenbaum. Her contract ends in June of 2017, though she plans to stay through a bat mitzvah in July. Berenbaum, 33, is not sure what she’ll do yet, but she’s thinking about a move to the Philadelphia and […]

D’Var Torah: Jewish learning in Wisconsin correctional facilities – and repentance  

D’Var Torah: Jewish learning in Wisconsin correctional facilities – and repentance  

Posted on: October 31, 2016 | 29 Tishri 5777 by Special to the Chronicle

The “Big Book” of Alcoholics Anonymous is the “Bible” for those recovering from alcohol addictions. Additionally, since 1939 it has been edited repeatedly to cover the full gamut of drug and gambling addictions. The “BB,” as we’ll call it, contains 12 steps necessary for the person’s cessation from their addiction.  In fact, it really […]

Coming Events, November 2016

Coming Events, November 2016

Posted on: October 31, 2016 | 29 Tishri 5777 by Rob Golub

Sarah Aroeste – bringing Ladino music back to life! The Sam & Helen Stahl Center for Jewish Studies of the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee, in partnership with Latino Arts, Inc., present Ladino singer Sarah Aroeste.

Jewish summer camps offer specialty activities  

Jewish summer camps offer specialty activities  

Posted on: October 27, 2016 | 25 Tishri 5777 by Special to the Chronicle

If you’ve ever been to a Jewish summer camp, you probably have memories of lifelong friendships, campfire sing-a-longs and the excitement of getting a package from home. But did you get a chance to run the camp for a day with your teenage friends? Perform a Broadway musical all in Hebrew? Customize your camp […]

My musical aliyah from Milwaukee

My musical aliyah from Milwaukee

Posted on: October 6, 2016 | 4 Tishri 5777 by Special to the Chronicle

On July 18, I made aliyah (immigrating to Israel) from Milwaukee as part of a chartered Nefesh B’Nefesh aliyah flight bringing 218 North Americans to Israel and I can say I have never been this excited about anything in my life. It’s truly amazing that I now have the opportunity to live in the […]

Chronicle short story contest

Chronicle short story contest

Posted on: September 27, 2016 | 24 Elul 5776 by Rob Golub

Would you like to win $50? Submit a work of fiction to the Wisconsin Jewish Chronicle short story contest. Submissions should relate to Judaism. Preference will be given to stories written by Wisconsinites or relating to Wisconsin.  Stories should be between 1,000 and 2,000 words and the winner will be featured in our December […]