Community

Stand up against hate this month with the Wisconsin Jewish Chronicle

Stand up against hate this month with the Wisconsin Jewish Chronicle

Posted on: June 8, 2020 | 16 Sivan 5780 by WJC Staff

On the cover of this month’s special section for our print edition, “Stand Up Against Hate,” is a model of a not-yet-realized sculpture. It will be called Shofar Kristallnacht. This would be Milwaukee-based artist Ricard Edelman’s third major shofar sculpture. His shofar sculptures are functional, amplifying the sounds of any shofar blown into them. One […]

The Jewish Community Pantry shifts to meet COVID-19 challenges

The Jewish Community Pantry shifts to meet COVID-19 challenges

Posted on: June 5, 2020 | 13 Sivan 5780 by Rob Golub

The Jewish Community Pantry, which serves central city Milwaukee and anyone in the Jewish community in need of food, has been shifting its operations in recent months in response to the risks presented by COVID-19. The pantry is a project of the Harry & Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center and Women’s Philanthropy of the […]

First Person: How to live with a pandemic and manage risk

First Person: How to live with a pandemic and manage risk

Posted on: June 4, 2020 | 12 Sivan 5780 by WJC Staff

I’m a Madison cardiologist. This is my recipe. It doesn’t have to be yours. COVID-19 update as we start to leave our cocoons. The purpose of this post is to provide a perspective on the intense but expected anxiety so many people are experiencing as they pre- pare to leave the shelter of their homes. […]

‘It is halachically permissible to make some modifications’

‘It is halachically permissible to make some modifications’

Posted on: June 3, 2020 | 11 Sivan 5780 by Special to the Chronicle

It was winter, and his illness was terminal. The Milwaukee attorney asked his friend, Shorewood resident Ann Jacobs, for a favor. Would she organize a shiva gathering after his death, leaving one less thing for his widow to handle? It would be a single public-type event to memorialize him. “I said, ‘Of course,’ thinking it […]

JCC to partially open physical spaces

JCC to partially open physical spaces

Posted on: June 3, 2020 | 11 Sivan 5780 by WJC Staff

MILWAUKEE — The Harry & Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center is reopening some programs and services in physical spaces. As part of a phased approach, the JCC will begin offering onsite fitness, aquatics, early childhood education, and youth summer programming in spaces through- out its statewide footprint, according to the JCC. “Relying on the […]

The Fund for Jewish MKE raises more than $1.5 million

The Fund for Jewish MKE raises more than $1.5 million

Posted on: May 31, 2020 | 8 Sivan 5780 by WJC Staff

MILWAUKEE — A fundraising campaign initiated during this coronavirus era, “The Fund for Jewish MKE,” is already more than halfway to its $3 million goal. The fund exists as a centralized source of support for the entire local Jewish community, according to Milwaukee Jewish Federation. The Federation manages the fund and is fundraising for it. […]

First Person: There’s a worm in my bed and it must be 2020

First Person: There’s a worm in my bed and it must be 2020

Posted on: May 26, 2020 | 3 Sivan 5780 by Special to the Chronicle

The other night, I found a large bottle of Lysol in my bed. This is not some fringe COVID-19 disinfectant method (that I know of!). No, someone in my family tucked the Lysol down at the foot of my bed as a prank. Seven weeks (eight? four hundred?) into Gov. Tony Evers’s “Safer at Home” […]

Jewish-themed bobbleheads are what we need

Jewish-themed bobbleheads are what we need

Posted on: May 20, 2020 | 26 Iyyar 5780 by WJC Staff

Stressed out? We have an antidote for that: Jewish-themed bobbleheads, courtesy of Phil Sklar, co-Founder and CEO of the National Bobblehead Hall of Fame and Museum in downtown Milwaukee. These bobbleheads are all in the museum collection, said Sklar, who is a member of Congregation Shalom. The museum produced two of them, Rabbi Shapiro and […]

Levy family steps in to fund Jewish educator award

Levy family steps in to fund Jewish educator award

Posted on: May 14, 2020 | 20 Iyyar 5780 by WJC Staff

The Levy family of Brookfield has stepped in to fill a void at the Coalition for Jewish Learning, agreeing to co-sponsor the CJL’s Jewish Educator of the Year award. It was to be presented at the organization’s annual Salute to Jewish Educators on March 15, but the coronavirus forced a postponement to a date not […]

How to work without everyone right there

How to work without everyone right there

Posted on: May 11, 2020 | 17 Iyyar 5780 by Special to the Chronicle

For those now working from home, the coronavirus pandemic has completely upended daily life. This can mean more than just finishing work tasks from the comfort of home – it involves adapting to a new normal, especially for so many whose workspaces might now be populated with children, family members, or temptations to exchange to-do […]