Community

Our self-imposed quarantine story

Our self-imposed quarantine story

Posted on: March 27, 2020 | 2 Nisan 5780 by Special to the Chronicle

If we have learned anything so far about the coronavirus, it is that things are changing very quickly. I do not know if what I am writing will still be relevant when you read it, and yet, I have been asked to share my story. I hope it is helpful to some of you.

Thinking about God and humanity

Thinking about God and humanity

Posted on: March 27, 2020 | 2 Nisan 5780 by Rob Golub

The global pandemic has local rabbis sharing thoughts of God and the human condition. “I believe our faith in God will help us through these difficult times,” said Rabbi Marc Berkson of Congregation Emanu-El B’ne Jeshurun. “We’re forced to recognize our own humanity. For all that we think we have control over, we really don’t.” […]

Walk for Israel and other events were already planned

Walk for Israel and other events were already planned

Posted on: March 26, 2020 | 1 Nisan 5780 by Rob Golub

MILWAUKEE – Every year, Milwaukee Jewish Federation and other organizations mark Yamim – three key occasions – with a series of local events. The three Yamim occasions are Yom HaShoah, or Holocaust Remembrance Day; Yom HaZikaron, Israel’s Day of Remembrance; and Yom HaAtzmaut, or Israeli Independence Day, with its well-attended Walk for Israel. Much for […]

Local synagogues rush to provide virtual connection

Local synagogues rush to provide virtual connection

Posted on: March 26, 2020 | 1 Nisan 5780 by Rob Golub

Local synagogues are using one of their most powerful weapons against the coronavirus and the isolation it causes: Connection. The key, of course, is to stay connected while at home. Congregation Sinai, Anshe Sfard Kehillat Torah, Congregation Shalom and other synagogues have had board members, rabbis, volunteers or others calling all congregants. “We’re calling every […]

Passover Food Drive is still on, with collection at Congregation Emanu-El B’Ne Jeshurun

Passover Food Drive is still on, with collection at Congregation Emanu-El B’Ne Jeshurun

Posted on: March 23, 2020 | 27 Adar 5780 by Special to the Chronicle

MILWAUKEE — In the midst of challenges brought on by the COVID-19 crisis, at least one important tradition will continue this spring — the annual Community Passover Food Drive (Ma’ot Chittim).   Sami Stein Avner, executive director at Tikkun Ha-Ir of Milwaukee, and one of the co-chairs of the annual food drive, said recently that effort is still expected to go on […]

Wondrous places to go

Wondrous places to go

Posted on: March 23, 2020 | 27 Adar 5780 by Special to the Chronicle

I love exploring the many hiking trails southeastern Wisconsin has to offer, exploring new parks with our Congregation Sinai Outside affinity group. This list includes my top five favorites for springtime enjoyment, ranging from a five–minute to 50–minute drive from our North Shore home.  Note: I have only included pet–friendly hiking trails. If you are not inclined to hike with your […]

Coming events, October 2017

Posted on: September 29, 2017 | 9 Tishri 5778 by Special to the Chronicle

To submit an event for consideration write to Chronicle@MilwaukeeJewish.org by the 15th for the monthly edition arriving in homes about two weeks later. Include date, time, location, a description, contact information and whether the event is free or what is charged. Sunday, Oct. 1 Teen stress reduction “Seventh Day Café: Mindfulness for Teens.” Do you feel really […]

First person: Ecological delegation to Israel comes away wiser

First person: Ecological delegation to Israel comes away wiser

Posted on: June 30, 2017 | 6 Tammuz 5777 by Special to the Chronicle

What was the ecological delegation? Three visitors to Israel from the Milwaukee area were part of an ecological delegation earlier this year. The Partnership2Gether program, a cooperative venture of Milwaukee Jewish Federation and the Jewish Agency for Israel, created the trip to encourage human connections among people who work in ecological development and environmental education. More […]

Senior living options explained

Senior living options explained

Posted on: June 30, 2017 | 6 Tammuz 5777 by Special to the Chronicle

Every day 10,000 people in America turn 65.  We are living longer than we have lived in the history of mankind. Studies show that social interaction is the number one predictor of aging successfully. Nutrition and exercise follow close behind. So what do we tell our parents who can no longer live and thrive […]

Five all-ages steps to starting a healthy plan

Posted on: June 29, 2017 | 5 Tammuz 5777 by Special to the Chronicle

Summer in Wisconsin comes on quick and exits just as quickly. With it sometimes comes with the hope to be more active outside, feel better when completing an activity, or simply wanting more confidence to accomplish a task or outdoor activity. As we age, it becomes easier to get stuck in a rut or feel […]