Home / News / LocalRSS Feed
If you need help
December 1st, 2011
The J-Help campaign focuses on individuals and families with immediate and urgent financial needs related to life essentials such as food, rent, clothing and health care costs.
But there are other kinds of needs that occur in our community, and here is a brief summary of needs and the programs that address these needs:
• J-Help is designed to provide emergency payments for food, housing, and other basic needs to individuals and families in the community. Persons in need are asked to call 414-390-5800, where they will reach a J-Help Intake Coordinator at Jewish Family Services.
• Jewish Community Pantry (sponsored by the Harry & Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center and the Women’s Division of the Milwaukee Jewish Federation) is Milwaukee’s only food emergency food pantry that provides kosher food.
The pantry is located at 2930 W. Center St. (414-447-8901), and is open on Thursdays, 11 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.; and the third Sunday of the month, noon to 2 p.m., staring Dec. 18. It maintains a general food section, a kosher section, and an infant section. Call 414-967-8217, for more information.
• Milwaukee Jewish Free Loan Association, Inc. offers interest-free personal and student loans. It is located at 409 E. Silver Spring Blvd., 414-961-1500. Learn more at www.mjfla.org.
• Milwaukee’s Jewish day schools — Hillel Academy, Milwaukee Jewish Day School, and Yeshiva Elementary School — offer scholarships. Contact the schools directly to learn more.
• The Harry & Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center offers scholarship assistance for pre-school, day camp, and overnight camp programs as well as for membership. Inquire for the specific program(s) you are interested in. The JCC’s main telephone number is 414-964-4444, or visit on the web at www.jccmilwaukee.org.
• Your congregational rabbi is a good place to begin your search: he or she will be aware of resources in the community designed to help.