MILWAUKEE — Spring Hill Cemetery & Mausoleum, the first Jewish cemetery in Milwaukee, marked its 150th anniversary Aug. 29, with a ceremony led by Rabbi Ron Shapiro.
In attendance were staff, trustees, their families and friends. A new patio and a bench were dedicated for the anniversary, to enhance the aesthetics and provide a place for visitors to gather and reflect or meditate.
As an opener to the ceremony, Shapiro read a 1924 article from the Jewish Community Bluebook about Spring Hill, to link the past and present.
Spring Hill was founded by Gilead Lodge of B’nai B’rith on July 3, 1867.